Saturday, January 02, 2010

The Obligatory Top 5’s…

… being a list of the top five novels (by genre) that I read in 2009 – this does mean a couple are technically 2008 releases, but sue me: it’s my blog I can do what I want. There’s no particular order to the lists, they’re just my favourite thrillers, science-fiction and fantasy novels.

POLITICAL THRILLERS

Vince Flynn – Pursuit of Honor & Extreme Measures

Charles Cumming – Typhoon

CummingTyphoon3

Brett Battles – The Deceived

Alex Berenson – The Silent Man

Mike Lawson – House Secrets

GENERAL THRILLERS & CRIME

Jesse Kellerman – The Brutal Art

Mark Gimenez – The Common Lawyer & The Perk

GimenezCommonLawyer3

James Rollins – The Last Oracle

John SandfordWicked Prey

James PattersonCross Country

FANTASY

Kevin J. Anderson – The Edge of the World

Anderson1EdgeOfTheWorld3

Richard Morgan – The Steel Remains

Alan Campbell – God of Clocks

Terry Pratchett – Unseen Academicals

Mark Charan Newton – The Nights of Villjamur

SCIENCE-FICTION

Dan Abnett – Blood Pact

AbnettBloodPact2

Michael Rubens – The Sheriff of Yrnameer

Troy Denning – Invincible

Chris Wooding – Retribution Falls

I’ve not actually read that much science fiction this year, so I shall use the final pick for a different genre selection, for a book that took me pleasantly by surprise…

FICTION

Ethan Canin – America America

CaninAmericaAmerica3

In truth, there were a lot of good novels that I read during 2009, so the existence of this list, while it has the cream of the crop, should not by any means dissuade you from reading the other books featured on the website. 2010 is shaping up to be an interesting year for books, too. Keep checking back for more reviews and posts (of which we’ll be having more, about random book-related things – and hopefully a few guest bloggers, too, if I can convince them to contribute).

No comments:

Post a Comment