Tuesday, June 08, 2010

All Quiet on the Western Front… For the Moment

After such a busy May, things have been very quiet here at CR Towers. Why? Well, this month I’ve decided to read and review some of the mammoth books that have been accumulated of late. This will, of course, mean fewer reviews in June and July. Alyssa and Emma will be contributing a couple, too, but from me there will be fewer posts as I try to get through the novels (and also finish my PhD).

Untitled-1 I’m currently reading Kevin J Anderson’s The Map of All Things, the sequel to The Edge of the World, and the second in his Terra Incognita series. So far (I’m 300~ pages in), it is living up to my expectations, as he weaves the multiple threads together, building on our understanding of the cultures and characters that populate his fully-realised world. This is both a good and bad thing. Good because I’m loving it, and the novel is a pleasure to read. Bad because it makes reviewing the book a bit difficult – whenever I get a book I absolutely love, writing a review that is balanced is a little more difficult, as I come over all fan-boy and just want to get all gushy. There’s a lot going on, some clear parallels with, and themes taken from, current affairs – it even reminds me a little of the themes in Samuel Huntington’s Clash of Civilisations. It’s an impressive feat of fantasy writing, and it’s really no wonder he’s a top-selling author.

After this, I’m not sure if I’ll be taking a stab at Justin Cronin’s The Passage (it’s massive…), MD Lachlan’s Wolfsangel (which I’m excited about), David Baldacci’s Deliver Us From Evil (always love Baldacci’s novels), or three John Sandford Canavan-TTS-1-TheAmbassadorsMissionnovels (which I have allowed to sit lonely, unread, for far too long – he’s one of my favourite authors, so I’m not really sure why I’ve allowed three novels to go by unread).

Alyssa is making her way through Trudi Canavan’s The Ambassador’s Mission, the first in the latest trilogy set in her fantasy world (The Traitor Spy Trilogy). Initial feedback seems to be positive. As a new convert to Terry Pratchett (I have a tendency to try to convert everyone I meet), she’s offered to write a short review of Feet of Clay, which will be posted soon.

Emma is currently working on K.E. Mills’ Witches Incorporated and Wizard Squared, and (job permitting) we should get a review up pretty soon. From what I’ve heard, the series is great fun, and Mills’s ‘fun’ series with shades of Pratchett and Worst Witch thrown in there for good measure. I might have to read them after Emma’s done with them, assuming I can wrest the books out of her hands…

Mills-2&3 So, that’s what’s going on with us. Keep checking back for reviews, posts, and other asides.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment